Question
Posted by: Allen | 2007/02/26

Drinking Powerade

Will drinking powerade whilst gyming make me put on weight or will it just replace the nutrionts that I lost.?

Hi Allen

No not at all. The energy content of Powerade is really very low. In fact, even fruit juice and Coke have more sugar (and more energy) than Powerade, so that means they will cause (in theory) more weight gain. But the more important point is that you are exercising and so it's not as though you are going to gain weight from one bottle of Powerade. It's far more likely that it's your eating throughout the day that is causing any potential problems, not the Powerade. And also, it is important that you replace some of the energy and fluid that is lost, and so that's why I do strongly encourage people to drink Powerade or any other energy drink when training.