Question
Posted by: diana | 2003/01/14

Dried Fruit

Hi Doctor

Greetings for the New Year. I rad a previous correspondence that stated that dried fruit that have been boiled are good. My question is : how do we know which dried fruits have been boiled? Is it written on the packet? Also, I am going on an overseas trip and am really concerned about eating irregularly and not knowing much of the what goes in the food. Could I get some advice on this.

Thanx in advance

Take care

Dear Diana
One can buy cooked dried fruit in sachets and canned cooked prunes, but generally I meant that you are supposed to buy the dried fruit, soak it in a cup of boiling water overnight, boil till soft in the soaking water plus 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey and eat as is or eat after chilling. The boiled dried fruit can be kept in the fridge for a few days while you eat 2-3 Tablespoons a day with your breakfast cereal or as a pudding with custard or plain yoghurt, etc. As to eating overseas, this depends entirely on where you are going. If you go to the UK and USA their food is very similar to ours, but if you are going somewhere really exotic like Thailand, well then things could get quite tricky if you don't like rice, spicy foods and seafood morning, noon and night! It is usually a good idea to only eat cooked food in exotic countries and not to drink tap water, buy bottled water instead.