Question
Posted by: Dreamer | 2008/01/31

Dreams about the past

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I have heard dreams are your minds way of sorting things out.

I got engaged in July last year and I am really happy, but I keep having dreams about my ex boyfriend whom I was with for 5 years.

He used to beat me and the relationship was never what you would call a happy one, yet I dream that I am with him and we are very happy, but I am still engaged to my current finace and I have to tell my ex that I cannot be with him.

Throughout the entire dream I am torn between my love and loyalty to my current fiance who I want to be with and a desperate need not to hurt my ex by having to tell him this and leaving him.

He already knows that I am engaged in real life so thats not why I am dreaming that he doesnt know.

I often wake up exhaused, hurt and crying - any ideas why I keep dreaming of this?

Well, dreams are NOt that. Much dream content is random, some seems to be, PERHAPS, a degree of rehearsing current or potential problems so as to explore ways of dealing with them. There seems to be a degree of wishful thinking here, the usual doubts about a present committed relationship, and the fake fantasy that and abuser would ever be non-abusive and allow a happy relationship ( how many spotless leopards do you know ? ) <br>Instead of wondering why you are dreaming about this, as it appears you haven't yet fully given up on unrealistic hopes for the previous relationship, why not see a personal counsellor to work through all this and prepare yourself to commit to the present relationship ?