Question
Posted by: Janice | 2005/11/28

DREAMING EVERY NIGHT

REFERRED TO YOU BY THE CYBERDOC!

Dear CyberSHRINK

I have been dreaming every night for the past year and a half. From voilent to normal to just plain bizarre dreams (sometimes all in one night!) they make me feel exhausted in the mornings. I then have flashes of them throughout the day. Is it normal to dream every night?
I have always had trouble sleeping and wake from once to many times during the night.

I have been recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and have a prolapsed mitral valve but am otherwise healthy.

Janice

Dream slep occurs every night, and our brains appear to need to do this. Most people simply aren't aware of how much they dream. We tend to remember none of the dreams while we are firmly aslep, but mainly thouse which either wake us up ( like nightmares ) or those which occur just as we aqre waking up. So anything that disturbs your natural sleep, causing you to wake more often during the night, will let you remember more dreams, and give the impression that you are having more dreams. And you confirm this later in your mesage. I don't see how your other medical conditions would be likely to contribute to this problem --- maybe you are under increased stress at work or at home ? A psychiatrist may be able, after a full assessment, to recommend some medication that would alter the balance of your sleep, let you sleep better, and reduce the number of dreams remembered

2
Posted by: ~Wings~ | 2005/11/28

Finally!!
Someone who knows what it's like to be me! (Yay!)

Dear Janice
I totally know what you're going through, everything you've mentioned is exactly how I've been for 3 quarters of my life.
From dreaming about the past and future, to time travel and speaking to the dead!! It's very tiring on the mind and in the morning one feels like they haven't even rested!

My doc gave me some mild tranquilizers (Be Calm) and from my personal experience these phases of dreaming everynight come and go and you just need to break the pattern. I don't know what the medical effects are on the brain, we'll have to see what CS says.

In the meantime good luck and I hope you have sweet dreams and a peaceful sleep!
much love
~Wings~

Reply to ~Wings~
Posted by: Nicolai | 2005/11/28

Just a question Janice...Are you on Metformin (glucophage) yet? If not, speak to your Doc about that, as it prolongs Diabetes and if your diet is corrected, along with these meds, diabetes can be avoided.

As for the vivid dreams, keep all stimuls low ie coffee, tv, scary books. Meditation can also help keep the mind from dreaming (while it helped me dreams at bay for a while).
good luck

Reply to Nicolai