Question
Posted by: Puzzled | 2003/01/13

Dream-State

I am 60 yrs old,female, and am on beta blockers and HRT. The hypertension is controlled. I have suffered 2 episodes( about 3yrs apart) of the following: While working on hands and knees for a while I suddenly felt as though I was drifting into a dream state. I continued to work but had this feeling of being unconnected. My thoughts were not clear, rather disjointed and it took about an hour to feel normal again. On the first occasion I actually felt as though I had been asleep for a while, no idea how long though. No pain or other physical symptoms were present and I did not fall over or anything. On both occasions I was suffering a heavy head, a sinus type affliction and the weather was very hot.
I am concerned about a stroke! But there is a history of epilepsy in the family and I suffer from retinal migraines occasionally. Could it be a type of petit mal?

Puzzled, I doubt that it was a stroke, but it might be. It sound more likely that you had a incident of low blood pressure – quite common in people taking â blockers when it’s hot. That said, the best would be to see your doctor and make sure that nothing’s the matter. Good luck.