Question
Posted by: DELL | 2008/01/31

DR. Cohen's Diet

Good Doc

I just need to know if Dr. Cohen's diet is the way to go, i need to join them so that i can loose weight. Briefly he needs you to do blood test and creat a programme from that. But does not people who are diabetic and on Glucophage, that is what confuse me because i am Type 2 diabetic and can benefit if i loose weight.

Please be fair and tell the truth before i loose the money (1600).

Thanks in advance.

Dear Dell
If you are a type 2 diabetic and using Glucophage then I would strongly advise you NOT to use a high-protein, high-fat diet to lose weight. You will be doing yourself and your health and your diabetic control a great deal of harm. Please rather use the money to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Regular aerobic exercise is also essential to treat your diabetes and overweight. Try doing 30 or more minutes of exercise every day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), to lose that weight and get your blood sugar and insulin levels normalised.

3
Posted by: Louise | 2008/02/22

Do a google search on the cohen diet on the international pages and you will see that most people who have been on it have only praise for it. I am confused as to why this would be a bad diet for type 2 diabetes considering it is exceptionally low in sugar and works on regulating insulin production. I have been on the Cohen diet for 7 weeks so far, lost 15kg's, have more energy than I have done in years, suffer no more from energy rises and afternoon slumps nor depression and without the constant insulin highs and lows which this diet aims to eradicate, my blood sugar is now constant and i do not having cravings for bad quality carbs nor energy slumps nor the host of blood sugar issues I had before. Why don't you call a Cohen practioner and ask them the question about how the diet affects Type 2 diabetes? It is most certainly not a high fat diet at all, all fats are eliminated and only lean protein allowed and vegetables that have carbohydrate content but not a high sugar content. You get an allocation of carbs a day in the form of provitas but not enough to raise your insulin levels, sugar and anything that triggers insulin response is eliminated which is why I am confused as to why this diet isn't suitable for diabetics. Call a consultant and pose the question and also do a search on google on the international pages and read the numerous blogs of peope that have actually been on the diet for a period of time. People who have done the re-feed successfully and have gone back to sensible eating habits and followed the recommendations to keep the weight off if you see it climbing have kept the weight off successfully. Protein is a low GI food. See what the cohen people say, according to the blogs there are many people hypoglycaemic people too who have only benefited from the program. It has done wonders for me and my blood sugar issues.

Reply to Louise
Posted by: Ceeb | 2008/01/31

Dr Cohen is definitely not high fat, its fat free, but I went on it and picked up all the weight once I had finished, and yes I did complete it to the end.

Reply to Ceeb
Posted by: annn | 2008/01/31

Hi Dell

I would be very careful of Dr Cohen's diet (even if I'm not diabetic). Please try and read the book Women and food (Afrikaans: Vroue en kos) by Tabitha Hume before you make that decision. You will probably loose a lot of weight fast on Dr C's diet but to what cost in the long term.

Good luck with your decision!

Reply to annn