Question
Posted by: help | 2004/01/05

dr atkins high proteen diet- anyone that can help

Hi. I am looking for the high-proteen diet. Could anyone tell me where I could find it. Thanks

Dear Reader
I am sure that the other Readers are flooding you with advice about high-protein diets. Please keep in mind that the reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than the prescribed period (2 weeks at a time, if I remember Dr Atkin's instructions correctly), then that is fine. but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets.

2
Posted by: help | 2004/01/06

Thanks John (I am so glad to hear that for I am not really a big meat eater)

Reply to help
Posted by: John | 2004/01/05

Go to the official Atkins web site - use any search engine
Alternatively you can purchase a book at any bookshop

By the way it really is not a high protein diet - rather a carbohydrate restricted diet or protein diet, if you read the Atkins book carefully it does not recommend eating enormous amounts of meat.

Rather eat copious amounts of low calorie vegetables to fill up. As you proceed with the diet you will get your appetite under control and automatically will feel satisfied by eating less food. Also your body will tell you when you have had enough meat.

Reply to John