Question
Posted by: ace | 2003/01/20

Dr Atkins diet

Dear Doc

I've read that the Atkins diet (low carbohydrate diet) is actually the best diet to follow to loose weight and to feel better (not so sleepy and tired etc.)

Do you think this diet is really working? and if so, where can I find a list of foods that I can eat and the choices that I have to eat a low/no carbohydrate diet? I did search around on the internet but coulln't find any lists.

Dear Ace
I unfortunately don't agree with the use of a high-protein diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'View old Diet & Food site' and read the article on 'High-protein diets'. I firmly believe that one should rather reduce fat intake (37kJ/g) than increase one's protein intake which automatically increases fat and cholesterol intake. To reduce weight you need to reduce your energy intake and the easiest, healthiest way to do this is to eat a balanced low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Weigh loss' and 'Slimming Diet'). Combine the diet with plenty of aerobic exercise and you will lose weight and keep it off without endangering your health.
Take care

1
Posted by: Julia | 2003/01/22

I am in the late sixties and overweight, hip replacement.

Reply to Julia