Question
Posted by: mookie | 2003/01/07

Dr Atkins diet

Please could someone let me know where I can get a copy of the Dr Robert Atkins diet.

Dear Mookie
You can buy a book on this diet in most good bookstores, BUT this high-protein, high-fat diet is Dangerous - so think very carefully before you expose your body, esp your kidneys to this kind of risk. You will also probably regain most of the weight you lose on the Atkins diet once you start eating a normal diet again. It would be much healthier to use a low-fat, high-fibre diet to achieve weight loss.
Take great care

3
Posted by: TruthSeeker | 2003/01/10

"And as I said above, a low fat diet is deficient in several nutrients. They are always low in the fat soluable vitamins, A, D, E, and K and the essential fatty acids. Often people on low fat diets overeat foods made from white flour, which leaves them with a deficiency of HALF of the B vitamins."

What do you mean by "low fat diet"? The term is very vague and uninformative. I just entered a typical day's menu into www.fitday.com. I ate about 1900 calories and 60 grams (30%) fat. According to their database, I was not deficient in any of the fat soluable vitamins (in fact, I consumed 719% of the RDA for vitamin A), and the only B vitamin that did not reach 100% of the RDA was folate at 99.12%. All other B vitamins were 125% of the RDA or higher.

As for EFAs, someone would have to eat an extremely low fat diet to be deficient in them. According to the Merck Manual "requirements of EFAs are 1 to 2% of dietary calories for adults and 3% for infants" (http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section1/chapter2/2e.htm).

Reply to TruthSeeker
Posted by: Dana114 | 2003/01/09

Just wanted to add that the diet doc does not know her facts if she claims that the Atkins diet is "dangerous, especially to kidneys." Perhaps she could produce a SINGLE study that shows that low carb diets damage kidneys? Even a SINGLE documented case would suffice. I would then suggest calling a press conference and notifying the Mayo Clinic, because to date, there is not a SINGLE solitary study that demonstrates that protein damages kidneys. Not one, folks. It is a myth perpetuated by the uneducated.

Further, it is important to understand that low fat diets are extremely unhealthy. You need fats for proper healthy brain function and nutrition. Depriving oneself of fat only signals to the body that it is being starved and it further PROTECTS body fat. It then begins to throw off the body parts that consume the MOST calories, namely MUSCLE. Once muscle is burned off, the metabolism is slowed down EVEN MORE, and one has to eat even LESS calories to simply maintain.

Another danger with low fat diets is that they are deficient in essential nutrients and adversely affect cholesterol. Study after study has demonstrated a RISE in triglycerides and often a DECREASE in good cholesterol, HDL from low fat diets. One NEEDS fat in the diet to reduce triglycerides and increase HDL. The higher your triglycerides and the lower your HDL, the GREATER your risk of coronary heart disease. This is WHY the Atkins diet OUTPERFORMS the American Heart Association diet in weight loss AND cholesterol improvement. See article about Duke University study: http://www.msnbc.com/news/836726.asp?cp1=1

And as I said above, a low fat diet is deficient in several nutrients. They are always low in the fat soluable vitamins, A, D, E, and K and the essential fatty acids. Often people on low fat diets overeat foods made from white flour, which leaves them with a deficiency of HALF of the B vitamins. And we won't mention the fact that study after study shows that low fat diets are largely unsuccessul becuase people cannot stay on a diet in which they are hungry all the time. Low fat diets have the HIGHEST attritrition rates of ANY diets in studies.

Anyway, I would suggest folks not take my word for it. Don't buy into the many myths and unsubstantiated claims being made here, but check into it for yourself. Your health may just depend on it. This is a diet that REALLY WORKS. Here is a pretty good start: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/07FAT.html

Here is the first paragraph of the article and it is WELL WORTH the quick, easy and free registration to read this New York Times article:

New York Times
What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?
By GARY TAUBES

July 7, 2002

If the members of the American medical establishment were to have a collective find-yourself-standing-naked-in-Times-Square-type nightmare, this might be it. They spend 30 years ridiculing Robert Atkins, author of the phenomenally-best-selling ''Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution'' and ''Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution,'' accusing the Manhattan doctor of quackery and fraud, only to discover that the unrepentant Atkins was right all along. Or maybe it's this: they find that their very own dietary recommendations -- eat less fat and more carbohydrates -- are the cause of the rampaging epidemic of obesity in America. Or, just possibly this: they find out both of the above are true.

Reply to Dana114
Posted by: Shelley | 2003/01/08

You can get all the information you need from www.atkinscenter.com or you can buy the book from exclusive books.

Reply to Shelley