Question
Posted by: Jen | 2005/01/09

Dr Atkins - breastfeeding

I would like to know if I can do the Dr Atkins diet while still breast feeding my baby?

Dear Jen
Breast-feeding your baby is one of the most valuable things you can do for your child's future health. It will in fact protect her/him against a wide range of future ailments, including overweight. The Atkins diet is highly unbalanced and does not contain sufficient protective nutrients such as the B complex and vit C, or calcium, if you follow it strictly and cut out all milk and dairy products. This is the one time in your life where baby should come first. Use a balanced, low-fat diet instead and take baby for brisk walks in the fresh air every day to control or lose weight. You can access such a diet by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet. Just add 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt to this diet while you are breast feeding.
Enjoy the baby

1
Posted by: Science | 2005/01/12

Please do not under any circumstance consider going on the Atkins diet during pregnancy, or at all!! A diet high in saturated fat causes irreversible damage to the fetus' pancreatic development and will lead to insulin production problems and most probably type II diabetes in the baby.

Reply to Science