Question
Posted by: Adriaan | 2005/01/07

Dr Atkins

I would like to find out if any of the Dr. Atkins or other low carb diet products are available for sale in South Africa?

Thanks.

Dear Adriaan
You can go to any bookstore and buy a variety of books on this diet, but please be careful as it can have many negative side-effects. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and search for the article I published on 'The Atkins Diet' to obtain more insight about this potentially dangerous slimming method.

3
Posted by: Rick | 2005/01/07

People don't understand the Atkins diet (lifestyle) concept! You need to read the book to understand Atkins. After I have done Atkins for 6 months plus, I have learned how to perfectly balance my intake of carbs, protein, fat, fruit and veggies. I lost a lot of weight with Atkins during the strict initiation stage. I still follow the Atkins approach and keep my daily carb intake quite low but now also eat ample fruit portions for lunch and drink a vitamine shake (Anique) for breakfast. I have not eaten any bacon and eggs (a major misconception about the Atkins diet by people that dont understand the philosophy of the Atkins approach) for many weeks now! Our main meal is in the evenings. For supper we eat normal portions of red meat, fish and chicken but keep the carbs low. I substitute starchy side dishes (rice, potatoes, pasta etc.) by low carb substitutes such as salads, olives, asparagus, gouda cheese, mushrooms, brocolli etc. We dont drink wine and beer anymore. Brandy and diet soda is much better, because there is no carbs in it. Because I keep my carb intake low, I never have hunger cravings and my weight is perfectly stable, even after the 2004 Christmas holidays! On Atkins you never have the urge to binge on sweet stuff. You will not pick up the weight you have lost as long as you keep your daily carb intake low. This does not mean that you gorge yourselve on meat and cannot eat lots of healthy foods. Atkins is great.

Reply to Rick
Posted by: john | 2005/01/07

I found that the diet is very good as long as you eat animal products in small (and) reasonable quantites. If you choose to eat carbs as well then you need to exercise more to burn the extra energy. I have tried every diet in the book (not for weight loss) but to cure my very dry skin, high blood pressure and cholesterol and it has been the only diet that has has incredible results. I have been following this diet now for close to 3 years.

Also keep in mind that it is not a diet but should be viewed as a change in lifestyle. You need to eliminate the bad habit of eating excessive amounts of carbs (sugar, bread, etc..)l

Reply to john
Posted by: Angel | 2005/01/07

Hi Adriaan,
Yes, you can buy his book at any book store. On Sunday evening on SABC3 at 17h00 there is gong to be a program on the Atkins diet. IYou should definitely watch the program before starting the diet as it is a very controbersial diet and believed not to be good for you at all. I did the Sureslim diet which is on the same concept as Atkins although definitely healthier as you are allowed to have 3 fruits a day and I definitely lost weight - about 1.5 - 2 kg's a week but it is not a lifestyle that you can stick to and as soon as you starting eating close to nromal again you pick up all that weight and more. Hope this helped a bit. Good Luck.

Reply to Angel