Question
Posted by: Robyn | 2005/01/12

Downs Test

I am completely freaked out. I am 38 and am 13 weeks pregnant with my first (and only) child. I went for a sonar yesterday and all was fine except the NF (nuchleal fold) measured 3mm as opposed to 2.5mm or less which indicates no risk of DS. I had to have a blood test and should get the results on Friday which will tell me whether I am at risk (and to what degree) of carrying a DS child. Help!! Can't sleep, can't concentrate, totally panicked.

Anyone got some advice?

Unfortunately this will be a difficult waiting period. Remember that the tests give a risk. Depending on this you may need to have an amnio for a definitive answer.

4
Posted by: lerita | 2005/01/13

Robyn

with both my babies the neck fold indicated downs children. You will be surprised how many pregnant mothers at 13 weeks shows those results. I also had to do extra bloodtests. I did not opt for a amnio and did a detailed scan, which shows that nothing was wrong. As gynae dr says the test MAY indicate a risk

Good luck and do not stress. The test will most probably be normal

Reply to lerita
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/01/13

Try not too stress - know it is extremely difficult as this is the only thing you think of!!
My baby's nuchal fold also measured more than the average and my ration was 1:825 - I did not go for bloodtests and missed the 16 week mark for the amnio as we were away on holidays and my baby boy was born perfect and normal!

Will hold thumbs for you and all the best!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Francis | 2005/01/13

Don't panic to soon. With my first child my chances of having a baby with Spina Bafida was very high (above 50%). Went for a detail scan at a specialist and they confirmed nothing is wrong. I still worried, but he was born a healthy little baby boy.

Don't panic if the blood test also show a high rating. Rather book for a Amnio at 16 weeks then you know for sure and go to a specialist in the field.

If you are in Cape Town phone Dr Morrison at the Fetal Assessement Centre. I had all my detail scans with her and she is GREAT!!!!!!.

Her number is 6834653. They are fully booked, but mention to them that you have a huge problem and an emergency.

Goodluck

Reply to Francis
Posted by: Angie | 2005/01/12

Sorry Robyn dont have any experience of this but will say a special prayer for you and baby! Try and keep yourself calm until Friday (know it is difficult though.) if you need to chat - post here - wel will all be there to listen.

Reply to Angie