Question
Posted by: Nix | 2004/03/06

down's syndrome - question..

Hi Doc,

My sister-in-law went for standard blood tests at 19 weeks (instead of the usual 16? weeks) - for down's & HIV. The doctor is concerned about the results and says there is a 1,7% chance of down's. - Is this a significant chance? What are normal results?

She had an amnio this week (at 20 weeks) and will only get the results in 3 weeks time! Why the long wait for the results and is there anything she can do in the mean time?

Thanks for your help...

Nix

I am not sure what test was done at 19 weeks. The usual blood triple test is done at 16 weeks. In any event, a 1.7% chance means that about 2 out of a 100 chance of Down's syndrome, therefore 98 out of a 100 chance that the baby is normal. An amnio takes three weeks to get a result because the cells have to be grown and cultured. Unfortunately, all she can do is wait.