Question
Posted by: 11 weeks | 2004/10/12

down's syndrome etc.

when does one go to have these tests done? is it a blood test? what do they test for? i'm 11 weeks so far.

The screening tests are a scan at 13 weeks and a blood test at about 15 weeks. Confirmatory test is amniocentesis at about 17-18 weeks

2
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/10/13

Refer to docs answer. The screening test is NOT a blood test. This is done by a professional specialising in this type of screen. They do a high resolution scan and measure the neckfold of the baby - larger than a certain mm MAY indicate downs. They also check the brain, heart and measure the femur, all indicators as well as other things. They then work out a ratio with all the screen findings, combined with the bloodtest results and the mothers age. This ratio then indicates what your chances are of having a downs baby. Say for instance 1:820
The blood test are repeated at 17-18 weeks and the specialised scan again at 22 weeks. Based on the result of the ratio you may decide if you want to proceed with an amnion which carries risks on its own - the amnio must be done before the 18th week.

Hope this helps!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: 11 weeks | 2004/10/12

p.s. because 1 gynae told me it MUST be done at 13 weeks and after that it's too late and my current gynae said 16 weeks is OK, so I am really confused.

Reply to 11 weeks