Question
Posted by: Ewa | 2006/11/15

Down Syndrome Test

I went for my 20 week scan the other day and the doctor told us that the baby's nasal bone is too short and that, that is a strong indicator of Down Syndrom and had increased my chances by 50 times of having a Downs baby. I am now 29 which means according to that I have a 1 in 800 chance of having a Downs baby but now my chnaces have increased to 1 in 16. I can't seem to find any information on the nasal bone screen on the internet and my baby's other screens all came out fine. Can you tell me more?

The nasal bone is a factor which influences the risk of Down syndrome, but is usually checked at 13 weeks along with the nuchal translucency. Also it is absence of the nasal bone which is important. I don't know what other screens you had - nuchal, biochemistry?

2
Posted by: Lou | 2006/11/15

I'm not sure on where you can find more info, but I'm sure that gynaedoc can help.
If you were given a 1 in 16 chance of winning the lotto, the odds are that you still wouldn't win it! Your baby is a precious little person no matter what, and you have 15 chance out of 16 of having a healthy normal little baby - thats pretty good too. Try and be positive and look for the good. 29 is a good age to have your first baby, and there has been many women who have been advised to abort because of being in contact with German Measles or chicken pox etc and they have gone ahead to have perfect little babies.

Wishing you lots of luck strength and a beautiful healthy baby.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: Purple | 2006/11/15

The nuchal fold test where they check the neck folds, the nasal bone and the amount of amniotic fluid by scan and also do blood tests is usually done at your 12 week appointment.

Based on those results they will then recommend or not recommend or ask you to think about amnioscentisis.

What your gynae is telling you is genuine. My gynae said as well that all though its a personal decision wheter to do the amnio or not, he recommends it if your have a risk of 1:200 or higher.

Why not do the amnio and then you'll know for sure. If your baby does have downs syndrome, it gives you time to contact the downs syndrome association and gather information and prepare yourself. If not - then you'll know.
There is a lot of support available for people with downs syndrome children. Have a look if you can find out anything about the Sun Field Homes (these are not institutions where you drop your baby off - they are facilities that run during term times like boarding schools and they have adult programmes for sheltered employment too)

Remember that the results take quite some time. Abortions after 20 weeks aren't abortions - they induce your labour and your give birth to your baby, who is whole an alive and then they don't allow you to feed or hold your baby and they just let it die. I'm not trying to be mean - particularly as you are already worried - just wanted to let you know in case you didn't know.

Reply to Purple