Question
Posted by: chuchu | 2007/03/09

Down Syndrome?

Hi, My wife is 13 weeks pregnant. We went to have a check up with the gynae and he said that the neck was a bit bigger than he expected. Maybe down syndrome. She is 32 years old. I am wondering what are the chances. I have a short neck and it runs in my family. I am trying to convince myself that this is the case. We had tests done and expecting results on Tuesday. Please tell me the good and bad

This test has nothing to do with whether your neck is short or not. When you get the full result it will give you a risk of Down syndrome, e.g. 1 in a 100, and you can then discuss with your gynaecologist the need for any further tests, such as an amniocentresis.

4
Posted by: Chuchu | 2007/03/23

I know the tests had nothing to do if the neck was short or not. I was there when the tests were done. Maybe you just needed to ask what tests were don. I think Me was more helpful

Reply to Chuchu
Posted by: Chuchu | 2007/03/09

Thanks "Me" really appreciate your words.

Reply to Chuchu
Posted by: Me | 2007/03/09

Hi there Chuchu

Before you start stressing too much, first wait for your blood results. This will give an indication whether your wife should go for an amnio.
Very few babies test positive for downs so don't worry too much

Reply to Me
Posted by: chuchu | 2007/03/09

Hi its me again. Can the doc email me because I am away from office next week

Reply to chuchu