Question
Posted by: Jitesh | 2004/09/30

Down Sydrome

Dear Sir/Madam

My wife is 13 weeks pregenant with our first child. We qre quite excited however we had some disturbing new this week. We received the blood test back from the doctor and he said the the chance are 1 in 224. My wife in 31 and will be 32 in November. I not sure what to do? I just have a few question and if you could assist me I would really appreaciate it. What do we do now? He said he was going to do a further blood test in two week time. How is this going to reduce this the risk? Will we only know for certain once the baby is born? What signs do we look out for. In term of our chances is it good or bad.

Thanking you in advanced.

Jitesh

The chances according to the test are exactly that 1 in 224, Further screening tests may alter the chances but the only way to be sure is to do an amniocentesis which is only useful if you absolutely have to know before birth(may affect what you do). Amniocentesis also has its own pregnancy loss rate.
Ultrasounds may pick up some suggestive signs.
The decision is however still yours as to which way to go

3
Posted by: Francis | 2004/09/30

The amnio is your best chance to know for sure that you are baby is fine or have down. I would recommend the amnio if you want to know for sure. There is a risk, but if you are prepared to take the risk then rather do it. The fist 24 hours after the amnio is the most dangerous and after that you can start to relax again.

On your wife's 13 scan did they check the thickness of the neck? If so , they had to pick up the thickness of the neck - if it was to thick the chances of a down will be greater. They were suppose to tell you that when they did the scan on 13 weeks. Then they will send you for a blood test that will increase the chances and then it will be your choice to do the amnio.

Reply to Francis
Posted by: SMDS | 2004/09/30

I had my first baby at 36. I was told that my chances were 1 in 123. The doctor told me that Downs Syndrome actually happens more in younger woman (in their teens)
I did have an amnio done and there is certainly a risk involved for miscarriage.
It is personal choice if you want to have it done but at 31 I wouldnt. They really only recommend it for women over 35.

Reply to SMDS
Posted by: Purple | 2004/09/30

You can go for an amnio which can tell you for sure, however, the procedure does have risks. The risk of miscarriage from amnio is about 1 in 200.

Reply to Purple