Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/07/01

dowager' s hump?

I am a little concerned as I am not yet 60 and I seem to be developing a dowager' s hump. I have some arthritis in my neck which has narrowed the nerve openings from my spine and this causes periodic arm pain and numbness and spasms. The hump, at the bottom of my cervical spine, feels a bit thickened to me and aches quite often. It' s also stiff in that area. I find I have to actually concentrate these days to keep my back straight. The natural position seem to be rounded and hunched. Apart from keeping on trying to straighten up, should I perhaps get a back brace of some sort? I have been taking Calcium and magnesium by naturefresh for 10 years.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Anonymous
The dowagers hump develops due to compression fractures of the vertebrae when you have osteoporosis - so you need a bone density test. Ask your GP or Gyne to organize this for you as well as x/rays of the upper spine to see if there are any signs of compression fractures.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.