Question
Posted by: Joey | 2007/07/16

Doves driving me mad.

The lady who lives next to my house feeds doves. It costs her nearly R1000 per week. They are comming in crowds you cannot imagine. They shit on my roof. They shit on my veranda. They shit on my kids playing outside. My plants are dying, all sorts of ugly plants are comming up. My windows are dirty.

It's just white whereever you look. My 6year old now suffers from astma because of this. There is always feathers and half eaten doves, because the whole neighbourhood's cats feed there.

I have phoned the SPCA they are not interested as legally she can feed them. I have phoned the health inspecter he knows her well and has tea with her often.

And yes I have asked her and written letters and fighted. She will not stop as it's God's creatchers and I an a heathen as I don't want God's creachters to live.

I said God will provide for them, you don't need to.

My guestion is where or what do I poison them with ? I hear she's got rats as the rats are after the food as well, you get the same food that is laced and are red for poisoning rats, will this work on the doves.

If the health inspector is ignoring such an obvious health hazard ( pigeons, cats and rats ) just because he is pals with the woman, he is irresponsibly neglecting his job, and you need to contact a more senior health inspector --- and also take the case to the papers and TV, as they should be interested in a story like this. It does indeed sound most unhealthy.
And she sounds obsessive and eccentric. yes, pigeons are God's creatures, but they would live very well if she never efed them at all --- only then they would feed in many different places, rather than just one. And if the cats are feasting on them , doesn't that bother her ? And when did God appoin t her as the sole feeder of his creatures ? And isn't your child, now asthmatic because of this, ALSO one of God's creatures ? BY what logic does she decide that children are lesser creatures than pigeons ?
Do NOT resort to attempts to poisoning them, as it could get you into more trouble rather than her, which is not the outcome you need, and could also harm other creatures you wouldn't want to harm.
And while demanding oloudly that the council carry out its duties ( and maybe check with a good local lawyer, as there could be a legal remedy open to you ) ; see if you can find a copy of a song you might enjoy, by the great satirist Tom Lehrer, called Poisoning Pigeons in the Park.

2
Posted by: Dove | 2007/07/16

You can get into trouble by poisoning them If the SBCA finds out. Maybe the wrong person get some of your poison in and then you will be up for murder, think twice and maybe learn to live with them.

Reply to Dove
Posted by: Maria | 2007/07/16

Be careful with poison, you could end up poisoning the neighbourhood's dogs and cats as well. Are the other neighbours bothered by this as well? Could one not come up with a compromise, e.g. is there an open piece of ground where she can feed the doves?

Reply to Maria