Question
Posted by: patient | 2007/07/30

douching before ivf

I was told by MY DR that I have some bacteria in the vagina and this was established through a test.
He recommended that I douche and also prescribed anti-biotics.
Pls advise if it is safe to douche before IVF or should I not douche at all.
I want to do ivf within a 2-3 months ,but worried this may be a problem if I douche and If I dnt douche the bacteria may still exist when im doing ivf.
Im thinking of changing my DR to moving to your clinic as well.
pls advise .

Dear Patient

Douching and the use of topical or systemic antibiotics should not negatively alter the outcome of an IVF program

2
Posted by: Patient | 2007/07/30

hi

actually its the betadine douche bought at the chemist prescribed by DR.
Im gona be starting ivf soon and scared its gonna affect the implantation process , as apparently it removes all the natural fluid in the vagina.

thanks though.
I anticipate the DR CASSIM'S reply as well.

Reply to Patient
Posted by: RG | 2007/07/30

I assume you have to Douch with Bicarb if it is this will do absoulute no harm. I have been doing this for over a year now. I do it 3 hours every month before intercourse when i know i am ovulating etc. this only last 24 hours so you need to do it more often during ovulation. Douching has become quite common in woman lately. There is nothing to worry about it is safe. I also did IVF and you do not need to douche before IVF cause you bypass all of this. This is only for natural intercourse if needed.

Reply to RG