Posted by: Bible study friend | 2008/07/20

dopamine diet?

My friend is taking Reglan that she needs for digestive purposes. A side effect of Reglan is depression, I believe because it also decreases dopamine in the brain. She will not use antidepressants. What foods or diet would be best to help increase her dopamine levels? I understand protein is necessary. Is there any risk to adding protein shakes to her diet? Is that enough?

OK, let's see. Reglan is a trade name for the chemical Metaclopromide. It can indeed cause Depression, and is no advisable to prescribe for someone with a personal or family history of depression. She doesn't NEED Reglan, though she may have confidence in it, as there are numerous alternative meds whihc can help indigestion and which don't have that side-effect. She doesn't need antidepressants unless she i significantly Depressed --- and if she is, she would be foolish to reject meds which could then help her. There are no foods or supplements which would reliably and usefully boost dopamine levels where they would count. Can't she be persuaded to seek a second opinion about alternates to deal with her indigestion ( Reglan has no effect on digestion as such ) ?