Question
Posted by: Can I? | 2006/04/18

Dooes medical aid cover visits to counsellors or psychologists?

HI CS

I have really been considering going to see a counsellor or psychologist for some time now about some issues that I feel would be beneficial for me to work through ... I am on Discovery Medical Aid - the second highest category in it - do you know if such visits would come out of the medical aid allowance as a doctor's visit would? All/partial?

Also, could you possibly personally recommend someone in the DBN North/Umhlanga/La Lucia area for me? (As far as Musgrave is manageable for me)

Many Thanks

Any good medical aid ought to provide for you to see a psychiatrist or psychologist. Some may require that you be referred to the shrink by your GP --- check with the particular medical aid as to how they work. I can't recommend specific shrinks for many good reasons, including the impossibility of keeping track of so many changing practises. Your Gp should be able to recommend someone nearby and competent --- and the Medical Aid may be able to do so, too.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/24

I would like an opinion on this? Please note that the Profmed has decided to not pay for services rendered by Psychologists with sub-discipline codes 002, 003 and 004. Therefore Ms. Pieterse is a sub-discipline 002 (Counselling) which we not be covered. 086 002 Psychologists Counselling 086 003 Psychologists Educational 086 004 Psychologists Industrial Your reference number is: 313955740 Regards, Wendy Bougaard For and on behalf of Profmed | Consultant: Client Services | Tel: 086 067 9200 Fax: 012 679 4411 International Tel: +27 12 679 4144 Description: Description: cid:image-2539-7422@za04.rocketseed.com Description: Description: cid:image-2540-7422@za04.rocketseed.com Description: Description: cid:image-2541-7422@za04.rocketseed.com Should you require any further information, please contact Client Services on 0860 679 200 or e-mail info@profmed.co.za. Client Services is operational Mondays to Fridays between 07:30 and 18:00 and Saturdays between 08:00 and 12:00, excluding public holidays. Alternatively, chat to us online and real-time by clicking here or on the Chat link on the Home page of the Profmed website. You can also download the Profmed mobile app from your smart device app store to provide you with convenient access to your electronic membership card and various other functionality. This email is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or coping of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have this email in error contact the sender immediately and delete if from your system. Although believed to be virus free, accurate and complete, responsibility for any loss or cost arising from this email is hereby excluded.

Posted by: selco | 2006/04/18

just found out 2day that medihelp doesnt and when i phoned them they said they will look intio it....

Reply to selco
Posted by: Jinx | 2006/04/18

Hi there,
I just started seeing one today.
Also on Discovery.
Phone Discovery and ask them for psychologists in any area you desire. They will give u a list of them.
Then pick one, call the Psychologist and ask if they claim directly from medical aid or if u have to pay them cash and then claim.....
Usually you have to claim....

Discovery will pay for my visits to the psychologist so i don;t see a problem...

Good luck on your problems...

Reply to Jinx
Posted by: Me | 2006/04/18

The medical ais should have a benefit called mental health where psychologists are paid off.

Reply to Me