Question
Posted by: dw | 2005/06/06

dont want to lose any more weight

Hi Fitness Doc. I am currently gymming 5 x per week, doing 20 min cardio either running or cycling and weight training on legs and arms alternate days. I have reached my goal weight. I do not want to get any thinner, I just want to tone now. Do I stop doing cardio and just focus on weight training? Please clear this up for me. Thanks.

Hi DW

I do think that you should continue with cardio, because weight loss is not the only benefit of doing regular exercise and cardio, and so you don't want to lose out on those in favour of staying at your current weight. Also, remember, the body is smart enough that it will reach its own ideal body weight, if all things are ideal. So, provided you are not undereating, overeating, underexercising or overexercising, your body weight will find its own ideal level. Therefore, all you have to make sure of is that your diet is optimal for what you are trying to achieve. That may mean that you have to increase your daily energy intake, otherwise it is quite possible that you will lose weight if you continue to burn more calories than you take in. So have a look at this as well. I don't think however that 20 minutes of cardio is enough to cause great weight loss - in the case of people who really go underweight, they are doing very high volumes of training - hours a day as opposed to minutes, so I would not worry too much about losing too much. Also, keep up the weight training in order to maintain your toning focus.