Question
Posted by: Take? | 2006/07/31

Dont wanna be stuck in a rut!

i've just got a call that my job interview of last week friday was successful.the thing is the job is only R200.00 more of what im earning now.it is perm,with no benefits,im currently temping. i dont know if i should take the job bcos it's perm or if i should just stay and keep on lookin for somethin better. im so confused right now it's not even funny.
One thing that makes me unsure is: the new job is target-oriented,what will happen if i dont reach my target every month.will i get fired and be jobless? what do i do?

Thanx in advance for ur advice.

It seems a bit unwise to have interviewed for the job before deciding whether you actually want it. Draw up a balance sheet of the advantages and disadvantages of each option --- permanent versus temping ( which is more secure ?) ; benefits -- are there any on either side ? And as to the targets -- are they reasonable ? Reachable ? How do they react if you don't reach them ? And could you keep the option of returning to temping if the new job didn't work out ?

4
Posted by: recruiter | 2006/07/31

I agree with CS - you shouldn't be applying for jobs if you don't know exactly what you want. Then you are going to be on this site in a few months time complaining about a nervous breakdown because you didn't know what you were getting into?

Take this as a lesson learned and apologise to the recruitment company. In future you should insist they give you more information up front - most legit employers will give this info to the recruiter or any decent recruiter would have asked for more info else you are dealing with a 'meat factory' that just sells people's CV's off to companies asap to reach a sales target.

Also unless you KNOW you are good at sales or definatly want to set the challenge for yourself don't get into a target related job - the pressure is always on no matter how 'Nice' the people seems to be and you can be dismissed for incompetence or 'encouraged' to leave - and how will that make you feel?

Spend some time thinking about why you want to move, what motivated you etc to avoid just swopping one miserable job for another one.

PS if you are really confused try finding the book called 'What color is my parachute' - most libraries have it.

Reply to recruiter
Posted by: j-cat456 | 2006/07/31

Also, go back to them via the people who interviewed you, and tell them that while you are very interested in the job, that it is financially not feasible for you to take it at that salary without all the standard benefits of permanent jobs..contributory pension, medical aid etc. Ask if they would be willi8ng to make a counter-offer, and suggest that if it were say 'XX' more than you currently receive, that you would be interested.
At the same time you can also ask them about the targets, and tell them that although you believe you can reach the targets fairly soon, that it might take a couple of months for you to find your feet in the company, and what would the penalties for not reaching the target be.
Good luck,
j

Reply to j-cat456
Posted by: Hi | 2006/07/31

You do not have to accept it. Carry on looking, something more suitable will come up.

Reply to Hi
Posted by: Take? | 2006/07/31

i saw the job posting on the net and they didnt state how much i will be earning.it just said :Cost to company" ,that's why i applied for it. hadi known there was a R200.00 difference,i really wouldnt have applied for it.

Reply to Take?