Question
Posted by: nilouafar | 2006/10/24

Dont know what food to take

Hi Doc, I desperatley need your help!

Milk! any kind of milk constpitaes me and gives me a lot of gas, I have been bloated since this morning cause I took milk with my hifibre kelloggs! wheat also constpiates me and worse, gives me heartburn, what can I have for breakfast lunch and supper that wont give men this terrible side effects!

Dear Nilouafar
If you are sensitive to milk and wheat then I would suggest that you ask your gp to send you for allergy tests as you may be suffering from lactose deficiency or a gluten allergy. It is important to have such test done to determine exactly which foods you must cut out. If you are allergic then you need to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for a balanced diet which excludes the offending foods. For example if you need to cut out all milk and dairy products then the dietitian will have to prescribe calcium supplements for you. I would suggest that you try eating maize meal or Maltabella with honey for breakfast. But have the tests and see the dietitian as there is no way of knowing which foods you need to exclude at this stage.