Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2004/09/21

Donor Sperm

I am curious about how they preserve donor sperm? How is it kept "alive" and how long can it be kept and under which cercimstances? Thanks - Lynne

They are usually frozen and stored in liquid nitrogen. Can be kept for years.

2
Posted by: tess | 2004/09/22

its frozen in liquid nitrogen and can be kept for many years. obviously some sperm are damaged in the thawing process, but if you have a good sample to start with, its more than sufficient to use in AI or IVF

Reply to tess
Posted by: Shirls | 2004/09/22

I hear that the sperm is frozen - obviously in a specialised manner. It seems that sperm can be kept "alive" for a very long time. I recently read an article on a child that was conceived with sperm that had been kept alive for 23 years. So i guess its possible to keep it alive for just about forever!

Reply to Shirls