Question
Posted by: Seeking depressive support groups | 2007/04/25

Don't want to back slide again.....

Can anyone suggest a social, depression support group for me? I don't walk around with a morose face, have many interests, love to laugh and have fun but have had the 'black dog' for my entire life and now that I am 50 year old single lady who's partner passed away some time ago, I find it VERY difficult to stay on top of my depressive feelings when I am on my own 24/7.
I can feel that always being on my own is bringing out horrible parts of the depression over which I had learnt to gain control and it scares me that this is now going to get out of hand again.
I would welcome all and any advice.
Live in the JHB area but am happy to travel anywhere, within reason......

Contact the Anxiety / Depression Support group whose number is given on this page ! But as Chekll says, its also valuable to look for groups of people who share various interests with you, so as to be able to become more sociable and make more friends that way

1
Posted by: Chelle | 2007/04/26

From my experiences of depression, I'd suggest that you don't look for a depression support group as such, but rather find groups of people who actually enjoy doing the same things you enjoy doing. Mixing with people who have similar interests as you is more likely to be beneficial, than a constant reminder that you're prone to depression.

Most people spending time alone 24/7 will have difficulty keeping depression at bay. I think the cause of your depressed feelings here is more about feeling secluded than being depressive person as such.

Hope that makes sense!

Best wishes.

Reply to Chelle