Question
Posted by: LK | 2004/01/08

Domestic worker and virus

Dear Doc

We have just found out that my live-in maid is HIV positive! How do we deal with the situation and is she a risk to us? I am so worried that if there is a baby in the house she could one way or the other also infect the baby - is that possible?

LK, if you’re not planning to sleep with your domestic worker, she isn’t really a threat to you as long as she doesn’t bleed on you. The best would be to get some latex gloves so that if an accident happens and you need to help her, you can protect yourself. For the rest you have to make sure that she eats properly and goes for treatment early when she develops an infection. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Dee | 2004/01/08

My maid only worked for me for a couple of months and got sick and after going to the clinic she humbly came to me with a letter from the clinic stating her illness. although it was a shock to me, In the back of my mind I knew it was going to be that. don't get too panicky, because you will get advise from the helpline. in the meantime don't hurt her feelings or embarres her by keeping the baby away from her. Like if she is used to piggy back and go for walks . You should sit down and explain to her the risks involved, and if she wishes to still be employed by you, {Not that you can fire her because she is a risk to your family}, she will understand and abide. My maid is 34 years old with 3 children - she has no education, but understood when I talked to her. She regularly gets her medicine - I give her off to go to the clinic - and she understands that if she has an open wound she should be careful. I still let het play with my toddler, and she still cares fot my ten and thirteen year olds. You must remember NOW is the time she needs your support.
Good luck, and I wish you all the strenght to deal with the situation.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: 0800-012-322 The AIDS helpline | 2004/01/08

This is a bad one phone the HIV help line.
What will happen if she cuts her self
0800-012-322 The AIDS helpline

Reply to 0800-012-322 The AIDS helpline