Posted by: curious | 2009/09/09

domestic worker

Pse advise.

I have had to give my domestic worker (1 day a week) notice, as my husband has gone on pension. She has been with me for 5 yrs. What should I pay her. I have given her a mths notice.
She seems to think she can go to the ccma.
What are my rights. I was going to give her notice as her work has not been up to scratch lately.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


You clearly retrenched your domestic worker (dismissed for operational requirement). You were supposed to undergo a proper process of consultation and in essence you owe her 1 full weeks pay for each completed year of service. Over and above this you need to give her one months notice. The working problems are not taken into account with regard to retrenchment. Yours domestic worker can in fact go to the CCMA if she so wishes. It is recommended that you try and settle this with her beforehand even if you have to pay more than one months notice and 5 weeks pay.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.