Posted by: Cancer Moon | 2009/08/17

Domestic Violence &  Marital breakdown

Hello, I urgently need some help. Where can I get some counselling for myself. I have been in an abusive marriage for almost 3 years now. I have moved out but believe that I can stil save my marriage but before I do that I need to save myself. My husband has admitted that he has a problem with alcohol and his anger and has started counselling sessions. Do you have any suggestion? Please note, that currently I am also looking after my 2 year old and have to travel long distances to work, which is quite costly. Are there counsellors I can speak to that are cheap or even better free.

Your help and assistance is appreciated.

Depressed and lonely, anon

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Try calling your local branch of POWA or some similar agency aiding abused people. Absolutely right to cae for yourself first ; and if your husband is abusive to a significant extebnt, d not underestimate how difficult ( and unlikely ) it is that he will change. Meanwhile, it's good that he is seeing a counsellor, and one hopes he is dealing seriously with alcohol anger and abuse issues. FAMSA might also be able to advise on whether there are capable counsellors within reach of you who would be less expensive.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Cancer Moon | 2009/08/18

Thank you Cybershrink.

I have contact FAMSA and their nearest office to me is an hour' s drive away. this puts pressure on my job and travelling as it would take 3 hours out of my working day. The boss definitely won' t like that. Do none of them counsel over the weekends as I cannot afford to lose my job due to counselling.

I am currently residing in PTA and work in JHB.

Reply to Cancer Moon

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.