Question
Posted by: Manny | 2007/04/25

Dogs on heat

My dogs are just over 6 months old and the bitch is starting to go on heat. I dont want her to concieve on her first time but I dont really have the facilities to seperate them. What are the chances of her concieving the first time and is there anything I can do to try and prevent it other than seperating them?

You will need to lock the female away for the next 2 weeks at least. If you try and keep the male away a neighbours dog may still get to the female. You may need to take her to a kennel for boarding. Chances are pretty good of conceiving. It always happens when you don't want it to!!

6
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/27

Spaying reduces a dogs chances of contracting various cancers, pyometra in female dogs and many of the hormonal behaviour issues experienced.

It is a myth/Old Wive's tale that you need to let her have at least one litter. In the wild only the alpha female is allowed to breed.

Manny please do not breed you haven't done near enough research to handle a litter!

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/26

I agree - and there's a further point. A spayed female is likely to live a longer and healthier life than an unspayed one - these are subject to far more health issues, including various types of cancer. Ask me, I've been there. You don't want to go that route.

(And no, my unspayed bitch was never bred - there were other issues involved which made spaying her inadvisable. It ended up nearly breaking my heart.)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: SUN | 2007/04/26

Please have her spayed - there are so many unwanted animals in this world - you will attract all the male dogs from your neighbourhood wanting to visit and if you cannot lock her up or put her in kennels she will get pregnant and you will end up with a batch of pavement specials for which you will have to find homes or they will end up at the SPCA. Spaying is the only answer.

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/25

I'm with WR on this one, spaying and neutering are the responsible thing to do, rather leave the breeding to the experts who know exactly what they are doing. All my animals are sterilised (I have 9 - some are "rescues"). Please note its an old wives tale that you should let your bitch have one litter before spaying her.

I don't want to be harsh but I know most if not all reputable breeders spend a lot of time and money researching the best breeding techniques and most will only breed for the improvement of the breed and then some only if they see that exceptional quality. Puppies are expensive to raise for those first 8 weeks and few breeders actually make a big profit on a litter.

Please consider spaying and neutering as responsible pet ownership.

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/04/25

Hi Manny!

Please listen to WR! I am 100% with her on this. Check post on Doberman Pinchers by "Anon".

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/25

Hi Manny!

The only fool proof way of preventing un-wanted pregnancies is a) having one or even both dogs spayed & neutered.
b) next best thing is to seperate them.
c) Take her to a boarding kennel till she is out of season- and (obviously) make sure to tell them that she is on heat.

No offense; but if you don't have the facilities to seperate them, I assume you are not a breeder? And if you are not a breeder, I (once again) assume that your dogs aren't pedigreed registered dogs....? That brings me to my main point; You say :"I dont want her to concieve on her first time..." so I (once again) assume that you do intend to have her bred? - If so, Why on earth would you wanna do that? There are plenty of unwanted puppies out there, and if your bitch does eventually fall pregnant/ give birth there will be more.
I strongly advise you too have your bitch spayed (as it won't JUST be your male that will try and mate her) and as an optional extra - while you are at it, have your male neutered as well - that will keep him from wandering (looking for a bitch in season).

Good luck.

Reply to WR