Question
Posted by: Machel | 2006/07/21

Dogs - Labradore

Hi, we are considering getting a big dog again, people suggested a Labradore, we are moving to a farm soon, my son is 4 years old and we are not sure how a Labradore's reaction are to children and are they overprotected? What do you suggest? We have a jackrussel at the moment.

Labradors and Golden Retrievers usually tolerate children quite well. Getting a small pouppy will be the right right way to go so that he knows where he fits into the family.

2
Posted by: Carol | 2006/07/21

And me being a boxer lover I would suggest a boxer :) I think a lot of the animal shelters do personaility tests on their pups as well that would enable you to choose the perfect pup for your family.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2006/07/21

Hi there!

Why not take the Dog Breed Selector Quiz? Check it out at www dot dogbreedinfo dot com/search dot htm.
This will give you a realively nice platform to start from.
Labradors are fine with children. Being a GSD lover myself, I suggest getting a GSD from a reputable breeder (check out the KUSA website at www dot kusa dot co dot za).
BUT maybe the best option; why not think about getting a dog from an animal shelter? You have a HUGE selection to choose from (young - old etc) and you'll be helping a dog in need out (not to mention the shelter itself!!).
You can allways look for a dog with lab or gsd or any other child friendly breed in the mix ;-)

Good luck!

Reply to WR