Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2004/01/12

Dogs Fighting

I have a 18 month old rotweiler and now got a 8 weeks old Boerboel dog. The problem is that I can't give them each a bone or food at the same time or near each other. The Older one (Rotweiler) don't allow the smaller one to eat and take it's bones.

How can I learn the Rotweiler to leave the Boerboel alone when he's eating?

Hi Nicky
I suggest that you don't give them bones for a while until you have better control over the situation. It is quite normal for the older dog to want all the food and it should be given its food first, greeted first and given attention first as it is the oldest. When feeding them you will need to separate them, for example by putting the Rottweiler inside and the Boerboel outside. Let them eat for 20 minutes and then take the food away. When you feed the puppy its extra meals (at least 3 times a day) you can give the Rottweiler a bone or cowhoof or a tiny handful of dog pellets at the same time, keeping them separated again for 20 minutes. You must teach both dogs to give you their food and bones while they are eating by saying:"Leave!" and removing the food, then immediately saying:"Take it!"(or something similar) and giving it back. If you practise this regularly it will get easier, but may still not stop them taking food from each other. Make sure you are giving the Rottweiler enough food as it will be more vicious if it is hungry.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST