Question
Posted by: DEBS | 2006/04/20

Dogs eating cat food

I have noticed that my two dogs like to eat my cat's pellets. Is this bad for their health?

Generally speaking, no it is not bad for the health. It should not be their main diet though, but it won't do them any harm if they eat some of it. Just be careful that they do not become overweight.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/04/20

It won't kill them, but since dogs and cats have different nutritional needs, its not advisable to feed dogs cat food. I understand they like to steal it, so perhaps you can keep the cat food on a high place where the dogs can't reach it? All that snacking may cause obesity.

Reply to Acineth