Question
Posted by: heathcliffe | 2006/04/21

DOGS ATE MY IRON TABLETS

Got home and found that one of my dogs (can't tell which one) ate about 1/2 box of iron tablets from my table...

Neither of the dogs are acting as if there is anything wrong...

Should I be worried ??

Iron toxicity can be a problem and can cause illness. It will I ever be absorbed rapidly, and treatment by now (four days later) will be useless. Make sure all medication is hidden well away from your dogs!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/22

Why don't you try phoning your local after-hours clinic, and asking them what they think? If there isn't one near you, phone the Cape Animal Medical Centre - for details click on the 'who is the cybervet' link at the top of this page. They operate an all-night clinic after hours, so there's always someone there.

Be sure to tell them what brand of pills they were, or better still, what kind of iron - it should presumably tell you on the packaging.

I reckon that maybe you're out of the danger zone by now... only, once symptoms become noticeable, it's possible that the damage has already been done.

The other point of interest could be: just exactly how much iron is in these so-called iron pills, anyway? Might be worth yanking the manufacturers' chain by phoning them to ask how dangerous this situation might have been...

Best of luck with your pooches.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: heathcliffe | 2006/04/22

Thanks for the link...

My dogs seem fine so far - I haven't even worked out which one ate the tablets.

It says that symptoms usually appear in the first 6 hours - but I would assume that its been between 18-24 hours now and everything seems ok.

I'm still worried out of my mind and watching them ALL the time.

Anyone had a similar experience.

The tablets were the ones that come in that yellow packet that you cut across the top. (Is it 'Vital' ?)

Reply to heathcliffe
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/22

I know that an overdose of iron can be fatal to young children - iron supplements are NOT harmless and should NEVER be left lying around.

If you google: dog poisoning iron you'll find quite a few links you may want to look at. It seems that the danger depends on exactly what form the iron was in - go look at www followed by petplace.com/dogs/your-guide-to-common-dog-poisonings/page3.aspx

The bottom line is that if you suspect accidental iron ingestion, get to a vet without delay, because the effects MAY be very dangerous.

Reply to Chill