Question
Posted by: blaze | 2004/10/15

Dogs and Apples

Is it ok for dogs to eat apples - my dogs eat basically an apple a day each.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Whether it also keeps the vet away, I do not know, however it will not cause any problems!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

6
Posted by: Davina | 2004/10/20

Hi Blaze and others,

In the wild, greens are part of dogs natural food source.

Dogs are scavengers and eat the leftovers of mainly herbivore animals, left over from animals of prey.

This includes those lovely organs inwhich greens are digesting in.

So fruit and vegies are not only okay, but very good for our dogs, in moderation.

Reply to Davina
Posted by: Pi | 2004/10/20

Fruit forms a regular part of my dogs diet. They love bananas, I give them apple, pear, pawpaw. They don't like oranges and pine apple, probably too acidic.

I've also heard that avo might be poisonous. I have an avo tree in my garden. When it is bearing fruit my pin min has her ears peeled for dropping fruit. She will kill for an avo, ripe or green, no hassles.

I've also heard the grape thing but having a grape vine as well both my dogs pick bunches of grapes, the only problem is an upset stomach when they eat the green grapes but they sort that out themselves.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: El | 2004/10/18

My maltese loves pawpaws and watermelons and we sometimes give her the skin of the pawpaw and haven't had any problems.

Reply to El
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/15

As far as I know , no fruits are bad for dogs ..i have heard that grapes and avocado pears can be a problem but we live on a avocado pear farm and my dogs eat tons and all i have is healthy dogs ???

Mine love mangoes , watermelon , mulberries, peaches, pawpaw, bananas in fact anything ...

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Ella | 2004/10/15

We have a basset and she loves her fruit and veggies.

Especially pieces of bananas, oranges, apples and strawberries. We give it to her in pieces. Now and again we'll give her an apple and she'll run off to eat it in peace and quiet.

She's never fallen sick or anything. We don't give her alot, only small pieces when we have fruit.

Ella

Reply to Ella
Posted by: K | 2004/10/15

A reply from one of the regulars would be most interesting as my dogs steal apples out of the fruit basket when they get the chance and I haven't really given it much thought, I assumed it wouldn't hurt!

Reply to K