Question
Posted by: Ally | 2007/12/29

Doggy diet - and I don't mean my cats!!

I have just adopted a lovely Daschund about 2 years old and 6.5kg. how much should I be feeding him daily? (I feed him twice - morning and evening) Also, how do I introduce him nicely to my two cats? I am keeping them separated at the moment and trying to divide my time - they have caught sight and smell of each other and the cats have not reacted well, poor things

Please consult the feeding directions of the side of the package of dog food. It will tell you how many grams you should be feeding depending upon the gods weight. Most premium food manufacturers supply measuring cups to help feed the correct amount. Install a Fewliway Vapourizer where the cats spend most of their time so that they become more relaxed and then introduce them to the dog. Be cautious as cats can severely injury dog's eyes if they happen to scratch them.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/30

Follow the guidelines on the packet for feeding .... I have big dogs so am a bit cluless about amounts for little dogs ...

It may be a good idea to get one of the royal canin diets for daschunds tho ..its especially for dogs that are prone to back probelms etc .

About the cats .... grit your teeth and do the following... see if you can find a gate of some description doesnt have to be fancy and wire off a doorway to a room just high enough so pooch cant climb over , but try and use something that the cats and dog can see each other ... put the cat food and cat things in there so the cats get the idea its their safe space..... let doggie sniff the gate etc ... dont allow him to bark so keep treats handy for good behaviour ..... if he seems calm when looking at the cats reward him.

the cats will learn very quickly that they are safe behind their gate or up o na cupboard or whatever and believe me they will come and investigate .... just take it slowly and reward good behaviour.

Your cats will forgive you eventually .. but go at their pace and dont force the issue ....

Reply to Carol