Question
Posted by: Robin | 2006/11/15

Dog's tummy hard and swollen

My dachshund's (Sausage dog) tummy is hard / swollen and when I gently touch it, I can see it is uncomfortable and sore for him. He is also struggeling to go up the stairs. This started yesterday (14/11). I left it to see if it won't be better today, but it doesn't seem to be. Please give me your opinion. Tx

Please have your vet check him out as it can be due to disc disease. This condition is serious and needs to be evauated by your vet please.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/15

This kind of thing may be quite innocuous, but it could also indicate a blockage which could be very serious. I wouldn't be taking any chances, so I'm glad you've taken the dog to the vet.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Joan | 2006/11/15

My daxie has been through the same thing she cried every time i touched her belly and acted as if she was dying i took her to the vet immediatley he examined her and said it was winds, i looked at him and started laughing asked him if he is serious he said yes gave me a milky substance that she has to take in twice a day and within two days she was 100%.
Not saying that this is the case with your daxie it could be something more serious so take her to the vet to be sure. You must remember that Daxies are very dainty and finiky dogs they love acting aswell, an example My daxie is preggies and she craves coffee when hubby and i drink coffee she sits and howls untill we give her some, and she will only drink it out of a cup and beware if our chihuahua pup comes near her coffee even if she doesn't want anymore the pup still cannot have.
Best of luck let us know what the vet says so that we can learn from this experience.

Reply to Joan
Posted by: Robin | 2006/11/15

He has not been eating bones in the past week and he is 10 years old. I'll take him to the vet. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to Robin
Posted by: j | 2006/11/15

Has he been eating bones is my first question to you and also you do not say how old he is. If he is sore/uncomfortable I would take him to the vet. If he is not getting up the stairs then I would say he is really not a happy chappie. Rather be safe than sorry, and it also gives you the peace of mind. When is his injections due maybe you can do the shots thing and worms and check up all in one go.

Reply to j