Question
Posted by: amanda | 2007/03/07

DOG WONT WALK ON GRASS

I NEED HELP PLEASE. MY DOG WONT WALK ON GRASS AND HATES IT. IF I TAKE HIM FOR A WALK HE AVOIDS IT AT ALL COSTS AND HAS TO WALK ON CONTRETE. I HAVE TO PULL HIM ONTO THE GRASS. THIS IS CREATING A PROBLEM BECAUSE WE LEAVE THE BACK DOOR OPEN FOR HIM SO HE CAN GO TO THE BACK YARD TO POOP. HE HATES GOING BACK THERE AND AVOIDS IT FOR VERY LONG PERIODS OF TIME. MOST OF THE TIME I HAVE TO CARRY HIM OUTSIDE AND CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND HIM. HE SITS THERE FOREVER AND I KNOW HE NEEDS TO GO BECAUSE 13 HOURS HAVE ALREADY PASED. HE SITS THERE FOREVER AND THEN FINALLY GOES. WHEN HE GOES YOU CAN TELL HE IS STRUGGLING TO TAKE A STEP IN TEH GRASS. AT TIMES HE KEEPS TWO FEET ON THE CONCRETE AND PUTS ON TWO IN THE GRASS TO PEE. WHEN HE PEES IS PEES A TON. I FEEL SO BAD THAT HE IS HOLDING IT. IF HE POOPS HE GOES IN THE GRASS ALL THE WAY. SOMETIMES THOUGH HE POOPS IN THE CONTRETE BECAUSE HE TRIES TO STAY SO CLOSE TO THE CONCRETE, WHEN I WALK HIM HE ALSO HATES THE GRASS BUT GETS INTO IT TO PEE AND POOP WITHOUT ME FORCING HIM.

Please have your vet check him out as he may be sensitive to grass (allergy) that prevents him from going onto the grass.

3
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/03/07

It sounds as if your dog was conditioned to relieve himself on concrete and similar surfaces. You will have to retrain him. This means you will have to go outside with him and wait until he relieves himself on the grass. Once this is done, reward him.

If he is used to puppy pads, you can try putting them down in the house for him again. Slowly move them toward the door, then just outside the door and eventually onto the grass. You should eventually be able to remove them.

Either way will take a long time so be patient.

Reply to Acineth | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Donna | 2016/05/05

Hi hon, I was reading your post, I gave a 17 month old Chiweenie named Peanut. I've noticed he can decern, different types of grass. He hates the prickly kinda scrub grass kind but absolutely loves the green grass with blades of grass. Thus just might be your problem too. Try carrying him to different types of grass set him down see if he will walk then. Hope this helps you. My Peanut will laydown and refuse to walk on that certain type of grass I have to carry him over it. Best of luck let me know how that worked for you. My email is Foxylady121959@yahoo.com

Posted by: amanda | 2007/03/07

SORRY HAD TO ADD MORE INFO, DESPERATE AND NO ONE CAN GIVE ME HELP/SOLUTIONS/IDEAS....WE JUST BOUGHT THIS HOUSE, WHEN THE GRAS WAS LAID DOWN NEW I COULD TELL HE WAS UNCOMFORTABLE GETTING ON IT BUT DID EASILY AND RAN ALL OVER AND HAD SO MUCH FOR FOR A FEW DAYS, BUT ONCE HE STARTED USING IT TO POOP AND PEE AND OUR OTHER DOG USED IT TO POOP AND PEE HE STARTED HATING GOING ON IT LIKE HE HATES GOING ON OTHER GRASS...BEFORE BUYING THIS HOUSE HE LIVES IN A CONDO FOR THE FIRST 4 YEARS OF HIS LIFE AND HE HAD TO GO ON PUP PADS ON THE BALCONY, HE HATED THAT TOO AND HAD TO BE FORCED, AND I WALKED HIM OFTEN BACK THEN, NOT SO MUCH NOW, I THINK HE MAYBE CONFUSED BUT DONT KNOW....THE ONLY PLACE HE LOVES TO BE AND RUNS ON THE GRASS WITHOUT ANY HESITATION IS THE DOG PARK, IF I TAKE HIM TO THE DOG PARK HE IS SO HAPPY AND RUNS ALL OVER THE GRASS, HE ALSO HAS A TENDENCY TO BE VERY VERY CLEAN, AND HATES TO HAVE DIRT ON HIM OR ON HIS FEET, HE IS A SHIBA INU....PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP

Reply to amanda