Posted by: deon | 2008/10/27

dog with eye irratation

I have a dog-boerboel who currently has a iiratation in both his eye' s,there is this watery sticky substance which covers the lower part of the eyelids,he keeps on scratching it with his front paws but gets really irratated,the problem has occured previously but went away with time,I just want know if this is a commin occurance or if I should worry about it?

Dear Deon

It can be a allergy similar to hay fever. Go to your vet for a eye exam first and ask him to give you something you can use long term. A drug called Alomide works very well. You may be able to get it from a pharmacist.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/27

Please don' t wait for it to ' go away with time' . An eye problem is very very uncomfortable, it can be painful, and if untreated, and the dog paws it, it can lead to ulcerations of the eye, which is horrible.

Rather get a proper diagnosis, as the cvet says, and the proper medication - such things should clear up quite quickly.

Reply to Chill