Question
Posted by: Louise | 2007/11/29

Dog Suffers from Indigestion

Please can you suggest a remedy for indigestion. My Border Collie is 7 yrs old. The symptons start with his stomach making gurgling noises. He will refuse food for about 24hrs and then is fine again. I try to allieve the discomfort by winding him and rubbing his stomach area. Someone suggested I use Gaviscon, but I am reluctant to use 'human meds' on an animal. I also am not sure if this could be a minor stomach torsion. He isn't bloated and will still play like a puppy when this happens. I know how uncomfortable indigestion is for me so I hate this to happen to him!

What are you feeding the dog?

4
Posted by: Chill | 2007/11/30

Before I tell you what protexin and charcoal tabs are: I don't think you're feeding your dog optimally. The pellets are a complete dogfood, but that is really conditional upon that being the basis of the dog's diet. Why not try putting him on one type of pellet, with maybe just a few tablespoons of canned food mixed in for 'flavour'? Add some of the dog gravy, if you want (dogmore makes one which my dogs quite like) and see how that goes.

Protexin is a probiotic powder which you can get from the vet, or from some pharmacists with a decent range of pet products. It's tasteless and you put in only a small amount - like a LEVEL teaspoonful - it supplements the normal bacteria and organisms that are supposed to live in the gut and help with digestion of food.

Medicinal, sometimes called 'activated', charcoal is a good remedy for flatulence and gas problems - you can get it at the chemist, it's in tablet form - the chemists charge what I consider to be a huge whack. I've found Dischem has it a bit cheaper - just ask one of the assistants where it's kept. It's totally harmless and certainly seems to help my dog - a few weeks ago I decided to see if one tablet would do the trick, and the next day, she got the gurgles again, so we're back to two. A small price to pay...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Louise | 2007/11/30

Thanks for the replies. My dog eats 300g of Huskey tinned food and 200g of mixed pellets ( Pedigree Chewy and Full Course Senior ). This condition also happened when I used to feed him Vets Choice. I feed him once daily in the evening when he is less active. I dont know for sure that it is indigestion, but he does seem to burp and suffer from flatulence. By having him put his front paws on my shoulders I can rub his stomach area upwards which causes him to burp. Could Chill please tell me what Protexin and Charcoal tabs are?

Reply to Louise
Posted by: Chill | 2007/11/29

This sounds very familiar to me. I tried pretty nearly everything to sort out a similar problem with my dog, mainly by systematically eliminating everything from her diet that could possibly cause this - starting with milk and dairy. Every time I thought I'd solved it, it would come back.

Rubbing her tum did seem to soothe her - she'd come to me and lie on her back so I could do it.

Now, what I've found works is: I add some Protexin to her food every single day, as well as two medicinal charcoal tablets - just toss them in, they don't even notice.

Hope this saves you the trouble of testing everything for yourself!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2007/11/29

Hi Louise,

No offense, but how do you know that this is indigestion?
I reckon you should feed him twice a day, smaller meals - and see if this helps - but again - I am not sure how you can be certain that there is discomfort.
By rubbing his stomach and winding him you are probably just helping yourself in as far as putting your own mind at ease.
What do you feed him?

Reply to WR