Question
Posted by: Ezperanza | 2004/11/03

Dog sick after anaesthesia

My maltese poodle went under anaesthesia yesterday. They gave her the human anaesthesia so that she can wake up immediately.They cleaned her teeth and pulled 2. She got her yearly rabies etc shots and they burned off some warts on her skin. They also pressed out a gland at her anus.

When she got home she started vomiting several times during the day. She is about 5 years old.

My question is:What has caused her to vomit? And what can be done to prevent this situation from happening again? She has to go through this process again next year. I want to handle it better next time.

The anaesthetic drug you referred to is probably called propofol. This is an ultrasafe very effective anaesthetic drug, that we use every day. It has revolutionised anaesthesia in that patience wakeup very quickly. Unfortunately, and occasional patient may be nauseous following anaesthesia. This is very uncommon though.
Round, I suggest you mention this to your vet and maybe ask them to use an antinausea drug following anaesthesia. Also make sure that she drinks and passes urine within the first 24 hours following the anaesthetic. The fact that your vet uses this particular drug should be seen as a plus point.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Corné | 2004/11/04

My dog was sterilized recently. She was also very sick when she got home, vomited & didn't want to eat for a day. It went away after a day or so, just keep het still & spoil her rotten!
Nothing to worry about.

Reply to Corné
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/03

I don't think you handled it badly at all. Rather a little vomiting than painful teeth/warts etc. I think it's quite a normal reaction, really.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/03

Anaesthesia makes me vomit too, so I always tell them and they give me an anti-emetic along with it. Discuss it with your vet - perhaps they can do the same for your dog. I hope she feels well soon.

Reply to Acineth