Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/03/11

Dog Pregnancy

Hi, I have a jack russel who is pregnant. If I calculated correctly, she should of had her pups on the 9th March (9 weeks). How long give or take is a dogs pregnancy. How long will it take to have her first pup and when should I start worrying if something is wrong, how would I know?

On average, pregnancy lasts 63 days. It may also be slightly shorter and slightly longer and depends on various factors in her cycles. You should be worried if she starts wanting to have pups and is pushing unsuccessfully and unproductively for more than an hour. Also, if she goes beyond 65 days. Obviously, if you are worried take her to your vet for an examination. A sonar examination can really help to determine how far her pregnancy is or whether the pups are distressed or happy.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: JustMe | 2004/03/11

Blue,
Usually 63 (62½) days. Shortest gestation period with small breeds. Gestation may extend up to 68 days for single-birth dogs.

Reply to JustMe