Question

Dog poisoning

Goody day.

My dogs became the 46th and 47th dogs to have died from poisoning in my area on friday night.

I would like to write an article for our local newspaper on what you can do for the dog if you suspect he has been poisioned and i would like to know what can be done?

I tried activated charcoal, but it only worked for one of my dogs, my new puppy, it made her vomit almost immediately, the other 2 were dead when i woke up and my other dog had not eaten the posion at all, he has been trained to only eat from me.

Could you please assist in giving me some immediate steps to take (rushing to the vet is obviously the first thing, but maybe there is something else you could do on the way there to make the situation better)?

Could you also please tell me.. Did they suffer badly? I didnt have the guts to ask my own vet as i think he knows me well anough to lie to me, but just thinking about how long it must have taken them to die is killing me inside.

Hi Anon

Sorry to hear of your loss.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten poison then the most important thing is to get the dog to vomit - use soda washing crystals/mustard etc. If youhave a good relationship with your vet then te vet might give you a product called apomrphine - this can be put onthe ocular membranes (on the eye) and will trigger vomiting. Once the dog has vomited then take the animal to the vet for treatment.

I would advise that you identify the poison (post-mortum) to treat the animals effectively

6
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/22

I can only imagine how you feel. It''s bad enough losing a dog when everything goes calmly and at the right time. I also have one very ancient dog, who is still fit and well and living a nice quiet life - I would absolutely HATE to lose him in such a dreadful way.

I hope you put pressure on the police to pursue the matter - it is too easy for people to get away with this.

By the way, 50/50 did a piece on aldicarb poisoning some time ago - if you go to their website you will find some information on this. It might be an idea to contact them to do a follow-up, specially if this has now happened nearly 50 times in your area. I think they quite like to receive feedback on things like this, it provides them with material, and hopefully it also helps put pressure on the right people to stop this poison leaking onto the market to be abused so terribly.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Susan | 2010/09/22

I do not understand what kind of people (if you can even can them that) does this? If I caught someone trying to poison my animals, I will force the poison down the culprits throat and watch them die! My heart goes out to you

Reply to Susan

Im in the vaal triangle chill.

I only realised on Saturday night that i had also been robbed. I buried my dogs then just sat there for most of the day. When i went upstairs I realised they had cleared out my entertainment area and bar, i had all ready called the police about the dogs so... They actually made a ladder out of wood and used it to get over my wall and up onto my balcony.

If they had just knocked on my door i would have given them money or food if that was what they needed. the dogs that died, i got them when i was in Standard 5 (the male) and Standard 6 (the female) and im 26 now, so they were getting old, The Male one had a stroke 6 months ago and the vet suggested putting him to sleep, but i asked them to give me a week and if he has not improved we can (his bottom jaw did not work and his mouth hung open constantly), I fed him watered down pronutro by hand and water from a syringe at the end of that week his mouth was back to normal and he was like a puppy again. he wanted cuddles and he wanted to play it was wonderful, but the past month he had been fading gradually, he was getting a bit thin and he could barely see or hear.

The female i saw in a pet shop and 3 weeks later she was still in the same cage so i bought her and brought her home and i thought my dad was going to kill me. Apparently she had been in the pet shop for almost 2 months when i brought her home so she was a very timid dog. She used to go lie on the grass on her back in the rain to get her tummy wet.

I knew they were going to go at some point soon, but not like this! I never imagined it would be like this.

Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/22

Hi Anon

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Reply to CyberVet | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/15

i handheld my poison dog can i now also be pioson

Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/21

How utterly horrible for you.

What area are you?

I think the way poison kills dogs would vary according to the type of poison used, as they all have different effects, and so the treatment also varies. IN SA, criminals commonly use ''two-step'' which is the common name for aldicarb - google that to find out more, if you want. Obviously that may not be what was responsible for this tragedy.

I hope they catch the scumbags that do this.

Reply to Chill