Question
Posted by: Comien Horn | 2007/08/15

Dog overprotective?

I am desperate for advise. We adopted a stray dog last year in August. He was rescued of the road after his initial owners moved away and left him to die. He didn't die - he looked after himself for quite a few months before they were able to rescue him. He is very much a Boerboel with a bit of Bloodhound in him. He has a lovely, lovely nature and is wonderful with our kids (2 & 5). He doesn't even bark - when he does there is real trouble. He settled in from day one. He is very protective over everybody in this house and any visotors, with their animals, dogs, birds ect, are also welcome and protected as if they live her. A problem we have with him is that he wants to go and "read the paper" (go for a free walk) He managed to slip out at the front door sometimes - very seldom, but he comes back shortly afterwards and then he is happy for a few days. I do walk him, but it is quite difficult because he is so big an because he wants to do his own thing. He also listens to an extent to me (when we walk), but he doesn't listen to my hubby - that's why I walk him.

A while ago while we walked him and the kids, another smaller dog attacked him. At first he was calm and then, the more the other dog pulled, he grabbed the dog by the ear and bit of a piece of his ear. The dogs owner come out and hit my dog with his fists several times on his nose. I just hold the leach, because I was scared he might run away with the other dog. Eventualy we managed to loosen them and Butch was bleeding quite alot where he was bitten under the neck.

I didn't go that way for a few months now. Today I walked him and brought him back and came to fetch the children to take them to the park. (Then we need to pass the "enemy") The next moment I heard dogs fighting and here was Butch attacking this dog and running away with him in his mouth. I do not know how he came out of our backyart.

I know he is very protective over me and the children and that he doesn't want to be alone but what can I do?

I don't want to give him away or put him down. He is a housedog - as big as he is, but he always have freedom to move in- and outside.

Please help - I was nearly killed by the owner of the other dog this morning. And I honestly doesn't want his dog hurt either. I just think that his dog shouldn't be loose on the road, mine neither.

It is distressing twhen other can't look after their animals and keep them under control when out on a walk. I think the best would be for you to get a Baskerville muzzle for him and keep it on him when you walk him. Unfortunately that will not other dogs from coming to attack him. You can also report the owner of the "uncontained" dog to the SPCA or your city council as there are rules governing the keeping of dogs.

3
Posted by: Nip-nip | 2007/08/16

To avoid trouble with other dogs and their owners i dirve to an open space away from the neighbouhood.in that way my dogs have all the freedom they want.they can run around as much as they want.
when tired,is back in the car and home.

Reply to Nip-nip
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/15

This isn't really being 'overprotective' - he obviously just doesn't like this dog. As you say, the 'other' dog shouldn't be out in the street either, so that owner is just as responsible - but still, it's not a nice situation.

I agree with Carol. Dog training school is great fun and it certainly teaches your dog how to behave around others.

Of course, no matter how well-trained a dog is, they will generally defend themselves if another dog attacks them - and frankly I wouldn't blame them.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/15

Doggie school will help.

Reply to Carol