Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2007/02/21

Dog jumping up

I have a small Rotty female pupy 8 months old. She was found on a dump site and was rescued. She is very shy and sensitive to any harsh words, however she is very excitable and jumps up all the time. I have tried to stop her as she jumps against the car doors when we return home. I do not want to break her spirit as she is extreemly intellegent and a great joy.

Please advise me how to teach her not to jump up on people and cars.

Tracey Herbst

The best will be to take her to obedience school and get her to learn your voice commands and they (the instructors) will be able to give you specific instructions on how to stop her jumping on the car. She is obviously very excited to see you but jumping on the car can be really annoying.

2
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/02/21

You don't even need citronella - just plain water sprayed will do it. You can do that for the car, but for jumping on you, just turn your back on her. Don't say "no", just ignore. Also, your coming home is very exciting for her, so ignore her for the first 5 minutes then greet her calmly.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: marianne | 2007/02/21

Morning Tracey-a dog behavourist told me to make a weak solution of Citronella oil in water and to use a spray bottle to spray the dogs in the face when they jump up etc. I've tried it. It doesn't hurt the dogs in anyway, but after a few sprays you don't even have to use it.....when they see the spray bottle they back away.
Try it it worked on my dogs.

Reply to marianne