Our expert says:
You really need to get rid of the ticks on your dog as they could give him billiary, which can be fatal. Ticks are also very dangerous to humans - tick bite fever is really horrible, resulting in terrible headaches and other symptoms. The best way, if you can afford it and it is expensive, is to get some Frontline from your vet or SPCA. You spray or drop this onto your dog and rub it in. It goes into the dog's system and poisons any ticks that may climb onto your dog for about a month. You will need to repeat this every month at least until the ticks are gone and then every two months or so. If you can't afford this then ask your vet for a dip or other poison that is cheaper and follow the instructions carefully as poisons can be very dangerous if used incorrectly. I would also suggest you ask the vet for some poison to sprinkle around the areas where you think the ticks are breeding and perhaps where your dog sleeps. Keeping your grass around your house short is also a good deterrent. Brush or comb your dog every day and remove any ticks by hand. Brushing is more important than washing a dog. You must kill the ticks, not just throw them in the bin or in the garden.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.