Question
Posted by: Chan1 | 2005/06/15

Dog had puppies

My daschund had 7 puppies yesterday (still can't believe it) of which two died. My question is, what type of food should we be giving the mother, should her portion sizes be increased and by how much? And how often should we be feeding her??

My mom has been giving her milk and rooibos tea on top of her normal food- is this a good thing cause I don't know if this is healthy??

Also, it looks as if the puppies are battling to latch on properly. Should we try to feed them ourselves with an injection and what can we give them to eat. I don't want to have any more puppies die on me, it's been traumatic enough just burying the other 2.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

The mother should be fed a high-quality commercial diet, in about twice as much as she would normally consume. To achieve this, she can be fed three to four times per day. Adding milk as fine as long as it does not cause diarrhoea. The puppies will cry a lot if they are not feeding adequately, and will not gain weight. If that is the case, they must be bottle fed. Your vet will be able to help you with proper commercial puppy milk and the bottle to feed them if necessary.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: ike | 2005/07/04

I was told that toy poodles can be weened off theremother at 4 weeks does this mean that they can be given to new families rhen too?

Reply to ike
Posted by: Zee | 2005/06/20

Hi Chan
Congratulations on the pups! I just love sousage dogs! I agree with MJ.
Don't give the mom milk. This may interfere with the pups building up their own calcium. The won't "produce" their own, and might get bad legs etc (not always, but possible). Rather give her enough water. Our "mom" just had puppy food (I trust and believe in Eukanuba) 3 times a day and then also we made sure that inbetween she had enough pellots (also pupy food) to eat whenever she was hungry. ANd she should definitely get more food that normally. (You can check on the back of the pack, the amount that she should get per day -for weening moms) Our's also liked her ocasional slice of bread. She did eat a lot and still didn't gain weight as the puppies totally drained her from everything. But this is normal, so don't worry about this. just make sure she has enough food ALWAYS! If the pups have trouble weening, you can "help" them by putting them on the tits and hold them untill they are stuck on it. They will soon realise that this is food and will eventually try and feed on their own. Also see that the smallest one also get enough milk. The bigger ones can bully and push them away. Try putting the smaller ones on the back teets. They usually have more milk that the front teets. Just see that everybody gets milk. And don't worry if they don't drink all the time. They will drink when they are hungry. You don't have to immediately start with the own feeding. Rather speak to your Vet first. Just keep an eye on them. Also don't be grosed out by this, but the mom will lick them to stimulate their tummies and she will eat their poo & pee once they started to poo. Don't worry about this either, it is normal. Good luck with them and enjoy them!!!!

Reply to Zee
Posted by: MJ | 2005/06/16

The mother should be eating high quality puppy food. Yes puppy food, and then the puppies will also start at about 2-3 weeks old. Don't feed her milk if she's not used to it. Milk gives diahreoa. Buy puppy food at the vet, Eukanuba or Hills are very good brands. Weigh the puppies on a food scale everyday, and if they don't pick up weight or lose weight, ask the vet if you can supplement their feeding with puppy lac (buy at the vet)
The mother should have access to her food, to eat as much as she likes until the puppies are weened.
At about 2-3 weeks old, offer the puppies the dry food with some water over (in between drinking on the mother), they should get the solid food 3 times a day. Do not give them milk! The mother might not get diahreoa, but they might.

Reply to MJ