Question
Posted by: suzette | 2004/10/24

Dog food

I have a three and a half year old dachshund. She has some sort of allergy. The vets tried different things, nothing worked, but the other day i gave her some cod liver oil over her food ( to see if she has dry skin). But she ended up with red bumbs all over her body, even her ears got swollen. We immeditately treated her with allergex. But i heard that those big red bumps in humans are because of seafood allergy. So i suspect she is allergic to fish.

Do you know of a dog food (dry pellets) that does not contain any fish product. I would like to try that and see if it doesn't work.

There certainly are several hypoallergenic diets that contain no fish available from your veterinarian, from all the major premium food manufacturers. Please ask your veterinarian to help you choose the right one. These diets are specifically formulated for situations like this and can be extremely successful in the management of allergic skin disease and other food allergies.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

6
Posted by: Liefie | 2004/10/29

Eukanuba Dermatosis. This type of doggie food is expensive but really works. Start by feeding her the Dermatosis alone. See what happens in 2 weeks time. Then you can mis 3/4 of Eukanuba Dermatosis with a dog food like Eukanuba Maintanence or Vet's Choice. You will also find a product called Mirra-Cote at your nearest Vet. This is Inexpensive. The final approach would be if your vet does a blood test or skin sample. Unfortunately the skin sample must be sent overseas so this does cost quite a bit but you wil save money in the long run when they tell you exactly what the doggie's problem is.

Reply to Liefie
Posted by: Cameron | 2004/10/27

Try Vets Choice dog food - its supposed to be free of allergins.

Reply to Cameron
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/27

Thanks Carol, I did mean BARF. I also think it is too much work, but then I don't have an allergy problem. I had a dog who could only eat one brand of food or she'd get exema.
Finding a new brand of food is easy and inexpensive since sample packets are easy to come by.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/25

I must say I am a bit puzzled.... why do you give your dog cod-liver oil to 'see' if she has a dry skin?

However: there are hypoallergenic diets available, you'll need to get that through your vet. Unfortunately it's not cheap, though.

The thing Acineth refers to isn't, I think, the BARF diet. What it is is: you feed the dog something bland, and something that doesn't normally occur it its diet (so it shouldn't have sensitivity to it). Normally, it consists of either rice and chicken, or rice and mutton. Once you've made sure the dog doesn't react to that, then you introduce other things slowly, ONE AT A TIME, while monitoring its condition, so that if it reacts to something, then you know exactly what it is. It's not meant to be a lifelong diet - merely in order to establish what the dog's sensitive to. Once you know that, then you can make other feeding plans.

I must point out that sometimes the cause of the problem isn't any actual foodstuff, but rather the preservatives that are used in commercial dogfood. I would imagine that different manufacturers use different ones - your vet will know more about this.

The BARF diet sounds to me like one of those fad ones that some people swear by but others can't support. Basically, it consists of giving the dog only bones and raw food (barf - get it?), and no cooked grains or starches at all. Again... I suppose it may have certain applications, but it sounds like a whole lot of effort to me - I would rather stick to a more conventional feeding method. However: each to his own!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/25

Its called a BARF diet .. do a websearch on it .. i dont know the ins and outs but I do know its great for doggies taht have allergies

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/25

I don't know of a brand of dog food, but there is something you could discuss with your vet. I know some people who do this with their dogs, but I forget what its called. Basically, they feed the dogs vegetables and chicken, with different days being designated for different foods. Perhaps someone knows what I'm talking about and can give you more information.

Reply to Acineth