Question
Posted by: moekie | 2007/04/27

Dog eats his own pooh

My little Toy Pom has this habit of eating his own pooh. I give him enough food which is mainly cooked meat because he refuses to eat other Dog food - I have tried all sorts of different brands. He also gets daily Bob Martin tablets which gives him a very lovely coat and he is full of energy. But the only thing that gets me dons is this habit of him. I take him regulary out in the garden to do his ....... but sometimes he gets hold of it and eat his pooh.
Sorry it sounds dreadful but I dont know what to do.
Thanks for your website.

You will need to train him not to do this and reward him when he doesn't. You will need to supervise him when he is out and then tell him "no" when he goes near his faeces. It takes a while to train them to refrain but he will come around. YOu could also spray something with an unpleasant taste over his droppings to help put him off. Some of these products are available from you vet.

2
Posted by: ANOTHER HINT | 2007/05/15

If your dog is eating faeces (dog poo) he will probably come to no harm except in the event of the poos being from a sick animal. Dogs sometimes detect some nutritional stuff that has not been digested and have a second meal of food that has passed through the body. Dogs usually grow out of this habit. Make sure your dog is getting enough to eat. Read the instructions on the dog food packet and weigh the dog to determine how much food to give each day. Giving the dog something to gnaw on may also satisfy his desire to eat. Pet shops sell many types of chews. Remember to deworm your dog regularly as worms sap a dog's strength, causing him to need more food. Sprinkling curry powder on fresh faeces may give him a nasty shock and put him off trying to eat them in future.

Reply to ANOTHER HINT
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/28

Dogs do this for one reason only, and that is because they like it.

It's a common problem, in fact, if you'll look at the column over there ------> you'll see a special category under 'eating poo' that will let you read previous queries about this.

Watch where he goes, pick up after him - that's about the only cure.

In passing - cooked meat is an inadequate diet for a dog, no matter how much they may like it. Your dog needs to be on a good quality dogfood which will provide all the nutrients he needs, which he is not getting at present. You'll find if you provide such food and stop feeding him meat, he'll soon get hungry and eat.

Don't think that because he has energy he's being well fed - nutritional deficiencies can cause damage which may take years to show up, but which can seriously impact the longevity and wellbeing of the dog.

Reply to Chill